Many boarding schools pointedly note that, these days, the “prep” in
“prep school” refers not just to college preparation — it also means
preparation for life.
All in all, a boarding school education prepares the student to answer
the question that every college wants to know about the student’s
high-school years: How much did you grow?
Why NOT attend a traditional boarding school?
- ¬†If a troubled teen doesn’t want to attend a traditional boarding
school, don’t force it on him or her. A good specialty boarding school
can magnify motivation even if the teen is initially unwilling to
- ¬†Traditional Boarding School students are highly motivated,
self-disciplined well-mannered students. If your son or daughter isn‚Äôt
self-disciplined or highly motivated other more appropriate educational
options should be considered.
- ¬†If it is a troubled teen, or a teen with a history of special needs,
such as an eating disorder or psychological problems.¬† In these
cases, it’s important for the school to have special medical and
counseling staff to meet the student’s needs. See information on
specialty boarding schools below
- If the student has never met a rule he or she wasn’t challenged to break.
- If the student is clearly unable to accept new ideas and adapt to new social
However, in many of these cases, there is an effective solution — some specialty boarding schools are geared specifically to providing such troubled teens with guidance, the necessary
social structure and an excellent education.
These schools are very unique and have proven themselves to be
phenomenal in their ability to help troubled teens and their families
reunite while simultaneously allowing the teen fantastic life,
emotional and academic educational opportunities.¬† Counseling is
also available at these schools and these boarding schools are able to
work with students that do not wish to be in such educational
Benefits of most boarding schools:
- Daily coexistence leads to friendships, not just among students, but also with
- ¬†Low student-teacher ratio. The median class size is 12 students per teacher,
with a student-to-teacher ratio of 6 to 1.
- Boarding school reduces compartmentalization, because
academic studies are blended with other activities, such as sports.
This natural juxtaposition increases the appeal of both pursuits.
- Provides stability not available in families where one or both parents travel
or are virtually never home due to work schedules.
- Safety of individuals residing in boarding school is typically higher than non
boarding school age students in general.
- Special help programs are often available.
- Students enjoy more challenge and face fewer harmful
distractions. If the student’s public school options are rife with bad
influences or lack diversity, boarding school may be the answer.
- Students learn to govern their own behavior. And parents no
longer have to seem like ogres or nags. In many cases students
appreciation for parents greatly increases.
- Where earlier generations have attended the institution, a
family tradition is sustained — becoming an additional source of
- Some schools have summer sessions, possibly also open to
students of other schools. These sessions often feature special
concentrations such as academic or computer instruction and/or the fine
arts. Some offer sports and/or rigorous outdoor training during the
- Some Boarding schools offer a post-high school graduation
development program, which can provide additional opportunity to
mature, perfect academic polish and further develop themselves becoming
better prepared to be an adult in today‚Äôs world.
Get the Free Parenting Kit